Monday, May 16, 2011

Blog 15: Revision CATW 2

I have read an article titled 'The Woman who Died in the Waiting Room" by Jeneen Interlandi. This article is about a sick woman in her late 40's named Esmin Green who was poor, uninsured and left waiting with no one checking up on her in Brookyln's largest Psychiatric Hospital. She fell out of her seat and still yet no one even noticed until she was already dead. There are alot of people in this world like Esmin Green, who deserve the medical attention based on their health, not their wealth.

Jeneen Interlandi says as quoted in the article "The mentally ill deserve a place in society" I completely agree with the writer. Most people can not afford insurance or even qualify for it and I believe these people need a place in society and should not be ignored. When I was pregnant, I was already 21 years old. My insurance was under my father's insurance and it had been cut off on my 21st birthday. I was not able to get the prenatal care that I needed the first 13 weeks of my pregnancy. Doctors refused to take care of me. It had taken 6-8 weeks to get approved by the insurance company so I can be insured and all of my medical expenses can be covered in order for doctors to see me and make sure everything with my pregnancy was going well. What if something would have happened to me? something even more serious like a car accident, would a hospital not give me the equal attention like every other human being just because i dont have insurance? I thought about this a lot because I was completely annoyed, perhaps more frustrated with how complicated it was the first couple of weeks without seeing a doctor and not knowning how my unborn was doing.

Futhermore, I had a friend in highschool who had twisted her ankle while going down the stairs with some brand new high heels she had bought. It was her first pair so it was obvious she would have fallen down at some point and I was prepared to laugh at her when it happened but it was not funny at all when i heard her cry out in pain. Her foot had swollen up and did not want to swell down and even the next day she was still in pain. I offered to take her to see a doctor and she replied she couldn't. I realized that day that I have never seen my friend go to a doctor's appointment or hospital whenever she was ill. So I questioned her and I asked her why? and she told me she deals with the sickness or the pain because she does not have insurance and due to the fact she does not rely on her parents she can not afford the medical expenses. God forbid something happens to her, she has to deal with it? That is ridiculous. I believe people like her shouldn't believe they can be ignored.

See, there are alot of people with health issues that should be taken care of and given the attention they deserve like any other human being. Money should never be an issue when it comes to someone's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment