I have recently read an article titled "An Education in Citizenship" found in the Chicago Tribune Editorial. This article is about the bill that was passed in the Illinois House which is causing legal citizens from other states to pay more out of their pocket for their tuition In-state for College, While non-citizen immigrants pay alot less. The writer discusses why insist on Citizenship? if the benefits of an education cost us alot more than it does to the people who are not citizens.
The writer believes; As quoted in the article "The notion that someone with no legal rights can be entitled to a very expensive and valuable benefit of citizenship is absurd to the face". I completely agree with the writer. Not everyone is rich and can easily pay their ways into school. Even most citizens have to struggle because we can't afford an education without a hand. I know a friend who is an immigrant and was able to go to college, given grants for books and every other education necessity. As for myself, I am a citizen and the grants don't cover my tuition completely, which leaves me to paying the rest of my tuition, including the books and other expenses that I don't receive grants for. It is a bit nerve wrecking to me when i think about it because I am a single mother trying to get an education to build a better future for my son and I. Without going to college I can not build this future, without going to college I can not have the job that will keep me going forward without counting every penny.
On another note, Can the economy be the way it is because people cannot afford to go to college, so they end up with a crappy job like working at mcdonalds the rest of their lives? I believe the government isn't taking into consideration how many citizens depend on their education as a priority to start somewhere. There are many people who grow up wanting to be a Doctor, A lawyer, etc. Many want the American dream but some can't even come close without going to school. But if they don't have money how can they start? and if they don't have an education they don't have money. It's like the commercial that says "I can't get a job because I didn't go to school. I didn't go to school because I didn't have any money" In the end I believe the government really depends on us while we depend on them as well. As far as easily giving an education for cheaper to someone who isn't legally in the states. Foolish.
Everyone wants a good education for a better furture. Every one needs it in order to live securely and not struggle in life. U.S. citizens like me, depend on that. We'll reach no where in life without it.
Stephany, good summary and the first body paragraph. But the second body paragraph does not give another reason for the same idea you have chosen
ReplyDelete